Travelling to a new country is fun, but you need to take certain precautions to make sure you have a hassle-free trip.
Do you have insurance?
Before you leave, consider taking out:
- Travel insurance to protect you in the event of an accident, unexpected illness and baggage theft
- Auto insurance if you plan on driving during your trip
- Home insurance that includes civil liability coverage
Some group insurance policies include travel insurance. Check with your employer to learn more.
Do you have all your documents?
- Is your passport valid? Some countries require your passport to be valid for at least 6 months after the departure date. Find out the
entry and exit requirements of the country you’re visiting.
- Do you need a visa? Find out the visa requirements of the destination country.
- Leave paper or electronic copies of your passport, travel documents and itinerary with a friend or family member who isn’t travelling with you.
- Take copies of these documents with you and leave the originals in the hotel safe so they don’t get lost or stolen.
- Planning to drive? Check to see if you need an
International Driving Permit.
Have you thought about the small things?
- Contact Desjardins Travel Assistance Service to get useful information about precautions to take, as well as the visa and vaccinations required for your destination.
- Check that your debit and credit cards are accepted in your destination country and find out about the service charges.
- Check the currency accepted by the country you’re visiting, as well as the exchange rate.
- Bring cash to make it easier for you to get to your destination.
- Check your cellular roaming fees.
- Set up preauthorized payments for your bills and accounts payable.
- Ask a neighbour, friend or family member to keep an eye on your house while you’re away. For trips of more than 30 days, some insurers require you to notify them.
- Check the weather forecast for your destination. Some destinations are in areas that are prone to hurricanes and tropical storms.
- Unplug your electronics.
Check out this
list and travel like a pro!.
our wallet card with emergency contact numbers! (PDF, 245 KO) Opens in a new window.
Do you have travel insurance?
Desjardins Travel Insurance has coverage options and packages that suit all your travel needs.
Back to Advice center